If you are feeling lost and low in life, stressed or anxious, these powerful quotes from Buddha can help you to overcome all of these.
Words are the most powerful thing today. These lessons from Buddha can also help you if you struggle with anger or looking for calmness in life.
Who was Buddha?
Buddha (Gautama Buddha) was a spiritual teacher who lived in India between the sixth and fourth century BC. After many years spent in deep meditation, he found out that desiring and attachment lead to unhappiness.
He believed that enlightenment was achieved when one’s mind is free of attachment, compassionate and focused on the present moment.
He spent his life teaching others how to live a life of compassion, joy, and fearlessness.
His doctrines eventually became what is known as Buddhism.
Life-changing quotes from Buddha
1. “Three things cannot be long hidden: The sun, the moon, and the truth”.
2. “You, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection”.
3. “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky”.
4. “You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger”.
5. “If you knew what I know about the power of giving you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.”
6. “Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the ocean’s depth is calm”.
7. “The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live”.
8. “The trouble is, you think you have “.
9. “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it unless it agrees with your reason and your common sense”.
10. “Every human being is the author of his health or disease”.
Quotes from Buddha on anger
1. “Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind”.
2. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned”.
3. “Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence”.
Buddha quotes on happiness
1. “Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think”.
2. “A disciplined mind brings happiness”.
3. “It is ridiculous to think that somebody else can make you happy or unhappy”.
4. “There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path”.
5. “Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared”.
1. “The root of suffering is attachment”.
2. “Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little”.
3. “Pain is certain, suffering is optional”.
1. “The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart”.
2. “To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own amid abundance”.
3. “Let us arise and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful”.
Buddha quotes on love
1. “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection”.
2. “True love is born from understanding”.
3. “If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another”.
4. “Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.
5. “He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes”.
Inspirational quotes from Buddha
1. “If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart”.
2. “On life’s journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him”.
3. “Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little”.
4. “An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.
5. “Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill”.
6. “Imagine that every person in the world is enlightened but you. They are all your teachers, each doing just the right things to help you”.
7. “There isn’t enough darkness in all the world to snuff out the light of one little candle”.
8. “One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world”.
9. “If you are facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep walking”.
10. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment”.
On your mind
1. “Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draw it”.
2. “Remembering a wrong is like carrying a burden on the mind”.
3. “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their minds and then believe them to be true”.
4. “Nothing can harm you as much as your thoughts unguarded”.
5. “Whatever a monk keeps pursuing with his thinking and pondering, that becomes the inclination of his awareness”.
6. “All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, suffering follows him as the wheel follows the hoof of the beast that draws the wagon…. If a man speaks or acts with a good thought, happiness follows him like a shadow that never leaves him”.
7. “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves”.
8. “There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind”.
9. “Remembering a wrong is like carrying a burden on the mind”.
Conclusion: These quotes from Buddha are very powerful and life-changing lessons. You can learn many things from them and they can help you to see life from their perspective and change some things for better.
Don’t just read them and forget about it. Try to remember some of them and practice in your life, they will certainly help you.